For dog lovers who also happen to suffer from allergies, finding a compatible furry friend can sometimes feel like a daunting task. The constant sneezing, itchy eyes, and runny nose can put a damper on the happiness that a canine companion can bring. Thankfully, there is a solution – hypoallergenic dog breeds.
Hypoallergenic dogs are breeds that either don’t produce dander or shed very little hair. This makes them the perfect choice for people with allergies, as they are much less likely to trigger an allergic reaction. In this article, we will explore 10 of the best hypoallergenic breeds that are perfect for allergy sufferers. If you do have a dog that sheds and would like all the hairs removed from your furniture then our steam carpet and upholstery cleaning service in Liverpool may be of assistance to you! 0151 384 5700.
- Bichon Frise: Known for their fluffy white coat, Bichon Frises hardly shed at all. Their hair is similar to human hair which means less dander in the air and fewer allergy symptoms.
- Poodle: Poodles come in various sizes, from toy to standard, and they are famous for their curly, hypoallergenic coat. Regular grooming is necessary to keep their hair in good condition, but their low-shedding coats make them ideal for allergy sufferers.
- Maltese: Maltese dogs have a beautiful silky, white coat that sheds minimally. They are a great choice for people with allergies as their hair is less likely to cause irritation.
- Shih Tzu: Shih Tzus have long, flowing hair that requires regular grooming to prevent matting. However, their minimal shedding makes them a pleasant companion for allergy sufferers.
- Yorkshire Terrier: Yorkies are known for their luscious, human-like hair that sheds very little. Their long, hypoallergenic coat makes them a great choice for people with allergies.
- West Highland White Terrier: Westies have a double coat that is dense and harsh, which helps keep allergens trapped and reduces shedding. Their low-shedding coat and lovable nature make them an excellent choice for allergy sufferers.
- Portuguese Water Dog: Made famous by the Obamas, Portuguese Water Dogs have a non-shedding coat and are known to produce less dander. They are an excellent choice for allergy sufferers looking for an active and intelligent companion.
- Italian Greyhound: This sleek and elegant breed has a short coat that sheds minimally. Their low-shedding coat and affectionate nature make them a popular choice for allergy sufferers.
- Chinese Crested: Despite their unique and hairless appearance, Chinese Cresteds are actually hypoallergenic. They do have a minimal amount of hair on their heads, paws, and tail, making them a great choice for people with allergies.
- Basenji: Known as the “barkless dog,” Basenjis have a short and low-shedding coat. They are known for being hypoallergenic and make great companions for allergy sufferers.
When considering a hypoallergenic breed, it’s essential to remember that everyone’s allergies are different. While these breeds are generally hypoallergenic, it’s still recommended to spend time with the dog before making a decision. Additionally, proper grooming and regular bathing can also help decrease allergens and keep symptoms at bay.
In conclusion, having allergies doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the companionship of a dog. By choosing one of these hypoallergenic breeds, you can still experience the unconditional love and joy that a furry friend brings, without the discomfort of allergies. So don’t let allergies hold you back, find the perfect hypoallergenic breed for you and start building a lasting bond with your new best friend.